Monday, February 23, 2009

Activity 2-Shape Poem



Elizabeth Barret Browning



How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight For the ends of being and ideal grace. I love thee to the level of every day's Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light. I love thee freely, as men strive for right. I love thee purely, as they turn from praise. I love thee with the passion put to use. In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith. I love thee with a love I seemed to lose With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath, Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose, I shall but love thee better after death.

I chose this poem by Elizabeth Barret Browning because I think it is an amazing poem and it is familiar to many people, so I thought it would be easy to understand. I did not want to choose a basic shape like a heart, because I felt that it was too easy and did not express the poem accurately. The poem does mention the sun and candle-light, so in the most basic way this represents a small part of the poem. However, the poem also talks about faith, grace, God, purity, etc, and I feel that since a candle is to many people a religious symbol, I thought that it fit the poem. I got the candle image from Microsoft word and I formatted the words over the candle image, changing the sizes and fonts and spacing to curve the words around the image. I then colored the font of the words to that of the candle, and after I was finished I moved the actual candle away from the words. I placed them side by side. I had to take a screen capture because I was having a really hard time getting it to save correctly and then putting it on here without completely messing up the shape poem.





No comments:

Post a Comment